Something New — Lessons & lectures, etc.
* = Activities for children.
ART & ARCHITECTURE
* The Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art, open Tues.-Sun., 12-5 (also Presidents’ Day and Good Friday); historic $10/adults and $5/srs.; free adm. for full-time teachers and students in grades K-12, and for active-service military families; free for all on Tuesdays; 203-438-4519 or aldrichart.org.
* Ridgefield Guild of Artists, Halpin Lane; 203-438-8863: classes for kids, teens and adults, call for info. or visit website, rgoa.org.
* Bruce Museum, One Museum Dr., Greenwich; brucemuseum.org or 203-869-0376: Docent-led Museum Exhibition Tours, Fri., 12:30, free w/ museum adm.; Bob and Pam Goergen Lecture Series, with Ken Silver Ph.D., discussing ‘Closer: The Graphic Art of Chuck Close,’ Thur., Dec. 12, 7:30 p.m., dessert recept. and open galleries, 6:30-7:30 p.m., lecture fee $10, res. required, visit brucemuseum.org. Diane Darst Learning to Look Family Art Appreciation Day, Sun., Dec. 15, 1-3 p.m.; Look and See: Miniature Artist Studios, Wed., Dec. 18, 12:30-1:15, for children 3-5 years and adult caregivers, $7/child, call for res.; Lifetime of Looking: Artist Studios in Miniature, for sr. citizens and their caregivers, Thur., Dec. 19, 1-2:30 p.m., free but adv. res. required, 203-413-6740 or 203-413-6741; December School Vacation Workshop: Printmaking, Fri., Dec. 27, 10:30-noon, for grades 1-3, inclusive workshop, $10 per child; info., 203-413-6740, res. required, 203-869-0376.
* Darien Arts Center, 2 Renshaw Rd. behind Town Hall; 203-655-8683: Winter Holiday Workshop for ages 5 and up, Sat., Dec. 14, 2-3:30 p.m., res. requested.
* Katonah Museum of Art, Rte. 22 at Jay St., Katonah, N.Y., 914-232-9555: Programs for Children: See-and-Do Art Activities, ages 3 and up (accomp. by an adult), Sat. at 1, Sun. at 1:30, free; Move It!, yoga for kids with Jennifer Hill, plus book readings and a craft project, Sat., Dec. 14, 10:30 a.m., free; Drop-in Art Program for Kids, Tues., Dec. 24, Thur.-Fri., Dec. 26-27, Tues., Dec. 31, 10 to 3. Stroller Tours “Before Hours” Jan. 10, Feb. 7, March 7, 9-10 a.m., $10.
* New Media Artist Balam Solo: Collaborative Digital Quilt Making, Sat., Dec. 14, from 10 to 5, free, all ages (children must be accomp. by an adult); Westport Public Library, 20 Jesup Rd.; info., 203-291-4800 or visit westportlibrary.org.
Free Knitting Circle, Wed., 2-3 p.m., with Joan Roth of Lewisboro (through Dec. 18), at the Katonah Art Center, 131 Bedford Rd., Katonah, N.Y.; 914-232-4843 or katonahartcenter.com.
Nutmeg Quilters Guild, meeting monthly on the 2nd Wed. of the month (except August) at 7 p.m. (doors open at 6:30): Ridgefield Recreation Center, Danbury Rd. (Rte. 35); on the odd months, a celebrity quilter is guest speaker: meeting incl. a quilt vendor, “show & tell”; on even months, “hands-on” evening; guests welcome, $5 fee (annual dues $25, Sept.-Sept.); info., nutmegquilters.org.
Bartlett Arboretum, 151 Brookdale Rd., Stamford; bartlettarboretum.org or 203-322-6971: Orchid Judging, the Northeast Judging Ctr. of the American Orchid Society, monthly judging on 3rd Sat. of each month, Dec. 21, 10-4.
UConn Master Gardener Program, applications for 2014 being accepted for the 14-session program beginning Jan. 3; fee is $415; partial scholarships may be available; info., application form, visit ladybug.uconn.edu.
Red Cross Courses (including Parenting, CPR, Back Injury Prevention, First Aid, HIV/AIDS Education, Lifeguard Training) offered periodically, visit ctredcross.org:
—Danbury area Chapter at 7 Park Lawn Dr., Bethel; 1-877-3327.
—Darien Chapter, 39 Leroy Ave., Darien, 203-655-2586.
—Greenwich Chapter, 99 Indian Field Rd., 203-869-0192.
—New Canaan Chapter, 51 Main St., New Canaan, 203-966-1663.
HISTORY & ANTIQUES
Fairfield Museum and History Center, 370 Beach Rd., Fairfield; fairfieldhs.org or 203-259-1598: Choo Choo Storytime, Thur., Dec. 12 and 19, Mon., Dec. 23, Thur., Dec. 26, and Fri., Dec. 27, 10:30-11 a.m., free w/mus. adm; Candlelight at the 1750 Ogden House, 1520 Bronson Rd., Fairfield, Fri., Dec. 13, 5-7:30 p.m., $5 sugg. donation; Candy House Workshop, Sat., Dec. 14, 10-11:30 a.m. or noon-1:30 p.m., $15/house; Kids Night Out, for ages 4-7, Sat., Dec. 14, 4-9 p.m., $50/child, pre-reg. required; Storytelling: The Night Before Christmas, Thur., Dec. 24, 3 p.m., free w/adm.; Fun Workshop: Pine Cone Creations, for ages 6-10, Thur., Dec. 26, 11-noon or 1-2 p.m., $5, pre-reg. requested; See a Steam Train!, fri., Dec. 27, 11-3:30, free w/adm.; Fun Workshop: Terrific Trains, for ages 6-10, Mon., Dec. 30, 11-noon or 1-2 p.m., $5, pre-reg. requested.
* Greenwich Historical Society, Bush-Holley Historic Site, 39 Strickland Rd., Cos Cob; open Wed.-Sun., 12-4 (docent-led tours at 1, 2 and 3); 203-869-6899, ext. 10 or www.hstg.org; adm. to gallery, visitor ctr. & house museum, $10/adults, $8/srs. and students, under 6 free; group tours at $7/person avail. on public and non-public days; library and archives open Wed.-Thur., 10-4; adm. offices open Mon.-Fri., 9-5.
* Weir Farm National Historic Site, 735 Nod Hill Rd., Wilton, 203-834-1896 or www.nps.gov/wefa: grounds open daily dawn to dusk; Burlingham House Visitor Ctr., Sat.-Sun., 10-4, Jan.-March (Thur.-Sun., 10-4, April-Dec.); call for info. on tours. Admin. offices open Mon.-Fri., 9-5; Volunteer Opportunities: visit nps.gov/wefa/supportyourpark or call 203-834-1896 x11.
Westport Historical Society, 25 Avery Place; 203-222-1424 or westporthistory.org: Gift Making Workshop… I Made It Myself, Sat., Dec. 14, 1:30-3:15, for children 5-12, $25/child, $15/sibling.
* Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum, 295 West Ave., Norwalk; 203-838-9799 or lockwoodmathewsmansion.com.
The Barnum Museum, 820 Main St., Bridgeport; 203-331-1104 x100 or barnum-museum.org: Celebrate the Season, presented by Kathleen Maher, exec. director, tales and traditions of Victorian Christmas, Wed., Dec. 18, noon, adm. $5; Eric Lehman’s Tom Thumb Lecture, Sun., Dec. 15, 2 p.m., adm. $5.
Author Marion Grodin, Standing Up: A Memoir of a Funny (Not Always) Life, Thur., Dec. 12, 7-8:30 p.m., Wilton Library, 137 Old Ridgefield Rd.; 203-762-3950 or wiltonlibrary.org.
Author Alena Dillon, I Thought We Agreed to Pee in the Ocean, Thur., Dec. 12, 7 p.m., Thur., Dec. 12, 7 p.m.; Fairfield University Bookstore, 1499 Post Rd., Fairfield; info., 203-255-7756.
Author Andrew Carroll, Here Is Where: Discovering America’s Forgotten History, book signing and talk, Sat., Dec. 21, 2 p.m.; Meadow Ridge Auditorium, 100 Redding Rd., Redding, presented by Mark Twain Library; reg. at marktwainlibrary.org or 203-938-2545.
Westport Writers’ Workshop, creative writing workshops; fiction, non-fiction, poetry; 3 Sylvan Road South, Westport; 203-227-3250 or westportwritersworkshop.com.
Inventing Our Life: The Kibbutz Experiment, with Toby Perl Freilich, Sun., Dec. 15, 3 p.m., Temple Israel, 14 Coleytown Rd., Westport; free; info., 203-227-1293.
The Israeli-Arab Conflict: Brief Overview, Thur., Dec. 19, noon to 1 p.m., lunch and learn, with Matan Smovsky, at the Jewish Community Center, 1035 Newfield Ave., Stamford; BYO lunch, coffee and dessert provided; info., stamfordjcc.org or 203-487-0961.
Meditation Sessions, Sat. and Sun., 10-11:30 a.m., open sessions; Mon. and Wed. eves., 7-8:30 p.m., open sessions; Kids and Teens Program, first and third Sun. 10-11:30 a.m., Redding Center for Mindfulness & Meditation, 9 Picketts Ridge Rd., West Redding; info., 203-244-3130 or visit reddingmeditationsociety.org.
The Compassionate Friends, Stamford Chapter, non-denominational self help group for bereaved parents, grandparents and siblings; meets 2nd Mon. of each month at 7:30 p.m.; Tully Center, 32 Strawberry Hill Ct., Stamford, main floor; info., 203-329-2796 or 203-323-2617.
The Ridgefield Songwriters’ Circle, monthly gatherings to play new songs and discuss them; for info., call Dave Goldenberg, 203-438-4521.
NATURE & SCIENCE
* New Canaan Nature Center, 144 Oenoke Ridge, New Canaan, 203-966-9577; satellite site for NY Botanical Garden programs (800-322-6924 or nybg.org/adulted); buildings open Mon.-Sat., 9-4 (closed major holidays); Programs for Kids & Families: First Saturdays, 1st Sat. of the month, free guided activities for visitors, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.; Free Live Animal Presentations, Sat. at 3, lasting 15-20 min., dif. animal each week.
* Woodcock Nature Center, 56 Deer Run Rd., Wilton; center open 9:30-5, Tues.-Sat., two-plus miles of trails open daily, dawn to dusk; reg. in advance for programs, 203-762-7280; www.woodcocknature center.org. Wreath Festival, Ladies Nights, Tues.-Fri., at 6:30 or 8:30, Dec. 10-13; Family Days, Sat., Dec. 14, noon to 4.
* Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk, 10 N. Water St., adm. $19.95 for adults, $17.95 for youth (13-17) and seniors, $12.95 for children 3-12; open 10-5 daily (till 6, July and August); info., 203-852-0700, ext. 2206: Toy Boat Workshop on Saturdays and Sundays (daily during July and August) between 11 and 3, 20-min. workshop, $5/child, no res. required. Visits from Santa, Sat., Dec. 14, 10-2, free w/museum adm. Santa Dives with Sharks on select dates during December (Thur., Sat., Sun., 12:15 & 2:15; check website); Winter Creature Cruises, Sat., Dec. 28, 1 p.m., Sun., Dec. 29, 1:30 p.m., Sat., Jan. 11, 1 p.m., must be at least 42 inches tall, $22.95, dress warmly, bring binoculars, adv. res. strongly recommended. Behind-the-Scenes Tour, Sat., Dec. 21, 8:15 a.m., for ages 10 and older (under 15 must be accomp. by an adult), $25/person, res. strongly recommended.
* Stepping Stones Museum, 303 West Ave., Norwalk; open daily 10-5, Memorial Day-Labor Day, and Tues.-Sun., Labor Day through Memorial Day; adm. $15/adults and children (under 1, free), $10/srs.; Early Childhood Classes for ages 6 mon.-6 yrs. and After School Adventures for grades 3-12, reg. online; other ongoing events; Around the World Creative Kids, programs Sat. at 2; steppingstonesmuseum.org or call 203-899-0606: Dancing Holiday Characters, Dec. 3-21, times vary; Accessibility Day, Sat., Dec. 14, 9-11 a.m., free adm. for children with special needs; Around the Wold Performance Series: A Day in the Italian Renaissance, Sat., Dec. 14, 2 p.m.; The North Pole Comes to Stepping Stones, Tues., Dec. 17-Sat., Dec. 21, and Mon., Dec. 23, 10:30-11:30 and 3-4; Holiday Handbell Performance, Sat., Dec. 21, 2 p.m.; closing at 3 Dec. 24 and 31, closed Dec. 25 and Jan. 1.
* Earthplace, The Nature Discovery Center, 10 Woodside Lane, Westport; open Mon.-Sat., 9-5, Sun., 1-4 (closed major holidays); adm. $7/adults, $5/ages 1-12 & srs.; free adm. to trails and property, daily 7 a.m.-dusk; interactive nature museum, live wildlife; Story and Animal Program, Thur.-Fri., 10-10:30 a.m., age 5 and younger, free w/adm.; Nature Encounters, every Sat. at 2:30, free w/adm.; Animal Feeding, Mon., Wed., Fri. at 11 a.m., Animal Hall, and Tues., Thur., Sat., Birds of Prey at 4 p.m., free w/adm.; 203-227-7253; earthplace.org.
* Stamford Museum and Nature Center, 39 Scofieldtown Rd., Stamford; adm. $10/adults, $8/srs. (65+), $6/students (18+ valid ID), $5/children 4-17; 203-322-1646 or www.stamfordmuseum.org: Heckscher Farm, daily, 9-5 (Animal Embassy open Tues.-Sun., 10-2); Nature’s Playground, daily 9-5; Bendel Mansion (main building), Mon.-Sat., 9-5, Sun., 11-5. Observatory Visitors’ Night, Fri. at 8 for ages 5 and older, adults $3, children (5-17) $2.
* Audubon Greenwich, 528 Riversville Rd., Greenwich; program fees: $5/adults, $3/children, srs. (incl. adm. to Center & Grounds); trails open dawn to dusk weekends; Kimberlin Nature Center open daily, 9-5; nature store open Tues.-Sat., 9-5; 203-869-5272 or email email@example.com: Family Bird Watching & ‘Christmas Bird Count’ Practice, Sat., Dec. 14, 1-2:30 p.m., res. required; 114th Annual Christmas Bird Count, Sun., Dec. 15, pre-dawn to 5 p.m., all abilities welcome, res. required by Dec. 14 (info. at audubon.org/bird/cbc). 114th Annual Christmas Bird Count, Sun., Dec. 15, pre-dawn to 5 p.m. (res. by Dec. 14 to Ted at x230).
* Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo, 1875 Noble Ave., Bridgeport; adm. $12/adults, $10/children 3-11 and seniors, free for children under 3; open daily 9 to 4; Carousel, Peacock Cafe, Jungle Canteen, Gift Shop; 203-394-6565, www.beardsleyzoo.org. Breakfast with Frosty & Friends, Sat., Sun., Dec. 14-22, 9 -11 a.m., res. required, $15/person.
* Planetarian Show/Telescope Viewing, Sat., Dec. 14: 4:30 p.m. planetarium show, followed by telescope viewing of the sky, 5:30-7:30 p.m., at the Westside Observatory and Planetarium on the Westside Campus of West. Conn. State U., 43 Lake Ave. Ext., Danbury; 203-837-8672 or visit wcsu.edu/starwatch.
* Wolf Conservation Center, South Salem, N.Y.; pre-reg. required for events at nywolf.org: Pack Chat for Kids! (ages 4-8), Sun., Dec. 15, 11 a.m., Sun., Dec. 22, 11 a.m., Thur., Dec. 26, 2 p.m., Sat., Dec. 28, 11 a.m., Mon., Dec. 30, 11 a.m., $13/adults, $11/children under 12; Wolves of North America,Sat., Dec. 14, 2 p.m., Sat., Dec. 21, 11 a.m., Thur., Dec. 26, 11 a.m., Fri., Dec. 27, 2 p.m., Sun., Dec. 29, 11 a.m., $13/adults, $11/children under 12; Sunset Photo Session, Sun., Dec. 29, 2-sunset, $150/person; Full Moon Holiday Wolf Walk, Tues., Dec. 17, 6 p.m., $18/person; Holiday Howl, Sat., Dec. 21, 2 p.m., Sun., Dec. 22, 2 p.m., Mon., Dec. 23, 11 a.m. $13/adults, $11/children under 12; Wolf Tails for Kids — Mythology of a Predator, Fri., Dec. 27, 11 a.m., $13/adults, $11/children under 12; Saving a Species — An InsideLook at the WCC’s Endangered Species Program, Sat., Dec. 28, 2 p.m., $13/adults, $11/children under 12.
SCORE – Service Corps of Retired Executives, help for small-business owners:
— Western Connecticut SCORE - 155 Deer Hill Ave., Danbury; 203-794-1404; westernconnecticut.score.org.
— Greater Bridgeport – University of Bridgeport Mandeville Hall, 230 Park Ave., Bridgeport; 203-450-9484, greaterbridgeport.score.org.
— Westchester – 120 Boomingdale Rd., NYS Dept. of Labor, White Plains, N.Y.; 914-948-3907; westchester.score.org.
Send listings to Sally Sanders, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail, c/o Hersam Acorn Newspapers, 16 Bailey Avenue, Ridgefield 06877, two weeks in advance of desired publication date.